Posted under That's Life Columns
Feel Free to Email: Tedhick@gmail.com
Dixon’s Veteran Greg Coppes carries the colors
Memorial Day 2016… Why?
Kids: Wonder why you get a day off from school Monday so close to the end of the school year? All of you who get a paid day off of work… Do you really know why?
Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day and was initiated to honor the soldiers for the Union and Confederate armies who died during the American Civil War. Celebrations honoring Civil War heroes started the year after the war ended. The establishment of a public holiday was meant to unify the celebration as a national day of remembrance instead of a holiday celebrated separately by the Union and Confederate states. By the late 19th century, the holiday became known as Memorial Day and was expanded to include the deceased veterans of all the wars fought by American forces. In 1971, Memorial Day became a federal holiday.
The original national celebration of Decoration Day took place on 30 May 1868. When Memorial Day became a federal holiday, it was given the floating date of the last Monday in May. Since many companies close for the holiday, Memorial Day weekend is three days long for most people. It is the unofficial beginning of the summer vacation season that lasts until the first Monday in September, which is Labor Day. Traditions: Some of the most common Memorial Day traditions that are still practiced in the United States today include:
- Every Memorial Day, the U.S. flag is quickly raised to the tops of flagpoles, slowly lowered to half-mast, and then raised again to full height at noon. The time at half-mast is meant to honor the millions of fallen U.S. soldiers who have died for their country over the years. Re-raising the flag is meant to symbolize the resolve of the living to carry on the fight for freedom so that the nation’s heroes will not have died in vain.
- It is very common to visit cemeteries, particularly military cemeteries, at this time of year to decorate the graves. Small American flags, flowers, and wreathes are commonly placed by the tombstones.
Monday might be a good day to take the family out to the beautiful 561 acre National Cemetery just out of town on Midway Road and see the final resting place of some 25,000 people. The veterans (and spouses) are laid to rest in about 18,000 gravesites of those who served this country with honor. At 9 a.m. Saturday (tomorrow) you and your family can help place a flag at each gravesite to honor those who made it possible for us to have what we have today. Pictured above is my first wife Linda at her father’s grave site there and a picture of his headstone. He was among those interned in the first section when this local national treasure was opened.
- Food Truck Mania Coming Back Today
- For the second time the City of Dixon sponsored “Food Truck Mania” will be returning to the Hall Park area (behind city hall and the swimming pool) this evening (Friday) from 5 to 8:30 pm. There will probably be about a dozen trucks with all kinds of specialized ethnic foods on sale. We went to the first one, last time, and it was interesting to see the variety of stuff we don’t have locally. They are here one evening for a few hours and then gone taking local dollars with them… but heck it’s just one little chunk of time out of one evening …and last time there were a couple of locals involved.
More Things For Thought
*There’s one bible verse that always seem to make me feel encouraged… lunch 12:35.
*If they ever get a donkey and a zebra to mate they would have to call the offspring a zonkey… ‘Because Debra is already taken.
*As I age I find I have three moods………I’m too tired for this carp, I’m too old for this crap, and I’m too sober for this crap.
*When my kids were little I found we were exact opposites. They would cry when I walked away… and I would cry when they walked toward me.
*I’d be a terrible superhero… I’d be at home and I’d see the signal in the sky calling me to help and I’d be like “damn! I just sat down and got my shoes off!”
*Smartphones are so expensive these days if you fall and hear a crack… you hope it’s your hip.
*If you have a foot fetish and you cheat on your wife… does that mean you got off on the wrong foot?
*Babies are a lot like tattoos: they’re not cheap, they’re yours forever, your feelings about them will change from day to day… and maybe you should wait a while before showing them off so they’re not all gross looking.
*Gluten is the substance in food that keeps people from being insufferable.
*I don’t exactly know when the UFO landed and dumped off all these stupid people that have been coming into work lately… but apparently they aren’t coming back for them.
*When you said “let’s be friends with benefits”… I just assumed you owned a liquor store.*I don’t always feel like I’m at the top of the gene pool… but when I do I’m usually at Wal-Mart.
*I think it’s important to teach my kids to be independent and self-reliant ‘because I’m not going to be around forever… especially if I win the lottery.
*Girls don’t fart… that sound you hear is actually baby unicorns being released into the world to sprinkle sugar on cookies.
*An older woman in front of me dropped $20 and I asked myself “what would Jesus do?”… So I turned it into wine, I bought wine.
- *I don’t understand all the confusion. It’s not hard to tell alligators and crocodiles apart… one will see you in a little while and the other will see you later. (For 50+)
- *I’m not just a pretty face… I have really nice feet too.
- *I grew up under the threat of nuclear war… forgive me if I can’t muster up the appropriate terror at the thought of gluten in my sandwich.
- *Why do porn sites have a “share to Facebook” button…who watches porn and thinks “you know, my friends and family would really enjoy this!”
- *Kids are a lot like donuts. Sweet and yummy, but after one or two and you’re like, “what the hell have I done?”
- *I like to separate my M&M’s by color before I eat them… so I’m either OCD or a racist.
- *I read that back in the 1930’s teething babies were given cocaine… how ridiculous! If they had a toothache they probably didn’t even want to party.
- *Getting older is so awesome… I don’t even have to drink to feel hungover anymore.
- *There is no louder sound than the crunch of something you’re not supposed to be eating!
- *The therapist at the rehab asked my friend how many drinks he had a week… “Hell, I don’t know….I’m an alcoholic, not an accountant!”
- *If I could give you one thing in life I’d give you the ability to see yourself thru my eyes… then you might realize what a turd you are.
- *Being an ugly female is just like being a man… you’re going to have to work.
- *Real women don’t wish their enemies would die… just that they’ll get fat.
- *Parenting is really no different than surviving a bear attack… curl up and play dead and they usually leave you alone.
- *I wore a Levi jacket yesterday and a little kid asked me why I made a jacket out of pants… I had no good answer.
- *I must be getting old. Every time I hear Def Leppard’s “pour some sugar on me” I think of two things… who’s cleaning it up and I sure hope we don’t get ants.